Revisiting the Egyptian Sofrito: Test 3 is the charm.

had neither tasted nor even heard of a sofrito until one year while visiting family in France, my husband and I were invited to the home of Dinah Franco — a Sephardic Jew of Egyptian descent. Sofreír in Spanish means to sauté or “lightly fry,” and in Spanish, Portuguese, Caribbean and Latin American countries, a sofrito is a type of sauce made by cooking a lot of garlic, onions, and spices with various vegetables for a long period of time over low heat, so that it can be used as a base for cooking meat, other vegetables, beans or rice dishes.

The following recipe is one that I recreated after having tasted Dinah’s, which combines nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and turmeric, with a lot of garlic and onions. When I was first developing this dish I focused on getting the right balance of seasonings and ingredients down on paper, and when I later tested my recipe I found that the result was more like a soup than a stew. In this most recent third attempt I used a lot less liquid to braise the meat and cooked it over a lower heat for a longer period of time. The overall result was a thick, rich sauce that took on the flavor of the meat, and more of what a true sofrito should be.

Beef_Sofrito_Step1_blog

STEP 1: Gather and prep your ingredients (3 pounds beef stew pieces, 4 cups onions, parsley, 1 to 2 cups coriander leaves and/or parsley leaves, 4 to 5 tablespoons garlic, spices, 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, black pepper).

Beef_Sofrito_Step2_blog

THE SPICES: 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1 teaspoon ginger, 2 teaspoons turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.

Beef_Sofrito_Step3_blog

Beef_Sofrito_Step4_blog

STEP 2: Brown the meat in a large heavy-bottomed pot with a little oil over high heat, then pour into a separate bowl along with all of its liquid.

Beef_Sofrito_Step5_blog

STEP 3: Add a few tablespoons of oil to the same pot (no need to wash) and cook onions over medium-high heat until soft and transparent, but not browned. Add the garlic and while stirring, cook for 30 seconds.

Beef_Sofrito_Step6_blog

STEP 4: Add the spices, salt, and pepper, mix, and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute.

Beef_Sofrito_Step8_blog

STEP 5: Return browned meat and all of its liquid plus about 1 cup cold water to the pot. Add the chopped herbs and mix well. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a medium-low heat, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook an additional 1/2 hour until sauce has reduced and meat is so soft it can be easily cut with a spoon. (Note: If you like, you can scatter a few cups of potato pieces over the top and cook it with the meat for the last 1/2 hour as well.)

Beef_Sofrito_Step9_blog

STEP 6: Dinner is served.

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “Revisiting the Egyptian Sofrito: Test 3 is the charm.

1. Beebe February 3, 2016 at 12:55 pm Reply

Hi Jennifer,
    The sofrito beef stew looks delicious! I’ll definitely try it with the spices you’ve listed. As you know, my husband is of Puerto Rico decent, and his family makes a sofrito that’s more like a condiment paste. They add it to season stews and other dishes.

• Jennifer Abadi February 3, 2016 at 12:59 pm Reply

That’s interesting Beebe, thank you for sharing. Do you happen to know what basic ingredients are used to make your husband’s Puerto Rican sofrito paste?

2. Helena Piñer February 3, 2016 at 3:54 pm Reply

Hi, in Andalucía, south of Spain we used to say “refrito”. We use it in a lot of preparations since 1492 (no tomatoes before 1492). The word “sofrito” is better used in north or middle Spain. In the XIV century the word was “sosenga” and nowadays it turns to “sofregit in catalán , and “sofrito” but in the XIV century it was used to prepare a meal with meat, oil, onion, parsley, herbs, honey, vinagre and bread and meat broth. But we can found this kind of prepartions (with coriander and not parseyl, not honey but other herbs) in arab andalusian manuscripts of cookbooks since the XII century.

• Jennifer Abadi February 3, 2016 at 4:07 pm Reply

Wow, that’s fascinating Helena! Thank you for more in-depth information.

3. Nina Lehman February 4, 2016 at 4:16 pm Reply

you give no quantities for the spices, etc. would you?

• Jennifer Abadi February 4, 2016 at 5:48 pm Reply

Although my recipe is not finalized for the book, I have added some of the amounts of the spices for those of you who have been asking. Please let me know how it comes out, if you should prepare it, and share my blog with others! I would love to hear back from all of you.

4. Steve Salloom February 29, 2016 at 11:57 am Reply

I have made this recipe several times. I use lamb meat (Colorado raised, organic) instead of beef meat. I also marinate the meat with Shawarma Baharat spices and olive oil. The rest of my preparation follows along the same line as in recipe. And believe me, it tastes very good.

I use the Colorado lamb meat because we can eat it raw, like in Kibeh Nayyeh, and when it is cooked it has a lovely flavor. We also love lamb burgers (I grind my own burgers.) Australian and especially New Zealand lamb meats have a gamey flavor. We don’t like that.

Please Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

The Seder

A Simple Passover Haggadah

Eshkol HaKofer

Sephardic Passover Dishes and Memories, from India to Italy!

too GOOD to PASSOVER

Sephardic Passover Dishes and Memories, from India to Italy!

In my Iraqi Kitchen: Recipes, History and Culture, by Nawal Nasrallah

Sephardic Passover Dishes and Memories, from India to Italy!

Bendichas Manos

a blog about living, cooking and caring in the Ladino tradition

KOSHER LIKE ME

COMING SOON

my madeleine

Sephardic Passover Dishes and Memories, from India to Italy!

A Kosher Christmas

'Tis the Season to be Jewish

SEPHARDIC FOOD

Exploring and celebrating Judeo-Spanish culinary heritage

%d bloggers like this: